Summer Internship: Northwestern Medicine (NM)

By: Brigette Boyle

Hello, everybody!

It’s crazy to think that in a year that has seemed endless at times, the summer is quickly coming to a close! I am currently wrapping up my time as a Graduate Administrative Intern at Northwestern Medicine (NM). After my initial plan to complete the Administrative Internship Program with the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN was canceled due to safety concerns from COVID-19, I was incredibly fortunate to secure another position with NM in the West Region Performance Improvement Office (PIO).

 

Northwestern Medicine is a 10-hospital premier integrated academic health system that stretches across the greater-Chicagoland area. The West Region, where my efforts have been focused, consists of three acute-care hospitals, one rehabilitation hospital, and one critical access hospital. This is my third summer with NM, and I can truly say that each experience continues to be better than the last.

 

My work has been a mix of both COVID-related and non-COVID projects. I was able to jump back in for the final phases of a Care Reliability Unit project that was just getting started when my internship ended last summer. It has been incredibly rewarding to see how much has been accomplished since the early conversations a year ago, and I am very excited for the unit to begin multidisciplinary rounds that will improve care for their patients. I have also had the pleasure of working on a DMAIC-driven project at Marianjoy, Northwestern’s rehabilitation hospital, to evaluate the workload of their Wound Care Nurses and inform the need for additional FTE.

 

Outside of my project work, I have been attending daily Safety Huddles and bi-weekly team meetings where I have the opportunity to hear how the leadership across the system is addressing any challenges or changes that arise. It is inspiring to see the collaboration and dedication all of these individuals bring to not only their teams but everyone throughout the region.

 

With the pandemic not trending the way we had hoped, my family is finding new ways to spend our free time this summer. We found a blueberry farm not far from our house that has instituted really good masking and physical distancing policies, and throughout the past few weekends, we have picked over 45 pounds! (Side note- if you have any good blueberry recipes, please send them my way ) I hope everyone enjoys the rest of their summer, and I look forward to starting classes soon!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group