April Arend - Medical Center North Liberty (MHA'27)

Hello everyone!

My name is April Arend, and this summer I completed my administrative internship at the University of Iowa Health Care at the Medical Center North Liberty (MCNL) campus. MCNL is an Orthopedic and Sports Medicine Specialty Hospital with 36 beds that opened in April 2025. This summer I was able to work with Bryan Garter, Director of Operations, and Amy O’Deen, Chief Administrative Officer. In addition to my preceptors, I worked with many department leaders on strategic initiatives and different operational projects.

Throughout my summer at MCNL, I have been exposed to many facets of the hospital. I participated in senior leadership meetings and learned about how to be an effective healthcare leader directly from Bryan and Amy. I participated in weekly tracers, staff appreciation events, and community engagement events (ex: volunteering at the North Liberty food pantry). Outside of meetings, I spent time shadowing child life, supply chain, the night shift house operations manager, and many more! 


One of my primary projects was tracking Operating Room traffic patterns and analyzing if there was a decrease in traffic post-intervention. By decreasing OR traffic, the goal was to also decrease infection rates. I built a pre/post intervention dashboard with data from 22 total joint replacement surgeries I observed. I valued seeing surgical workflows and interacting with clinical teams that truly cared about patient well-being.

Other projects I have completed are an inpatient census dashboard, an ED weapons detection flowchart & financial analysis, a patient meal satisfaction survey, and a department holiday hours template. All these projects allowed me to use skills I have learned from classes and apply them to real-world projects!


When I was not at MCNL, I enjoyed the Iowa City summer and spent some time traveling throughout the Midwest. I took a trip to Omaha, NE to catch some baseball during the College World Series and went to Lake City, MN to spend time with family and friends during the Fourth of July. 

As I reflect on my summer, I could not have asked for a better experience. I had the opportunity to explore my interests and expand my knowledge of health care operations. I learned from amazing leaders and staff, and I am truly grateful to the team at MCNL for taking an interest in my learning and supporting me!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Madison Anderson- CGH Medical Center (MHA '26)

Summer Internship: The Emory Clinic

Jashan Gill (MHA '24): University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics - Ambulatory Care Operations