Olivia Hedrick - Finance and Accounting Services at UIHC (MHA '27)

 Hi everyone! 

My name is Olivia Hedrick, and I am one of the interns with the Finance and Accounting Services (FAS) department at UIHC! This summer I have had the privilege of working under my preceptor, Beth Jaggers, and her financial strategy team. I work off campus in the Health Care Support Services Building (HSSB) in Coralville. I am grateful to everyone I have been able to learn from this summer, and it has been such a valuable experience!

Over the course of my internship, I have had the opportunity to work on a wide variety of projects. I analyzed observation hour data across all three medical campuses in order to identify the top 5 units at each location with the highest observation hours. From there, I found areas with the best throughput opportunities. I was then able to sit at an executive leadership meeting to go over the data I pulled and analyzed. This project gave me full-circle insight into the life cycle of a project, from the very beginning of pulling data to presenting it to the C-suite with recommendations.



Other projects I’ve worked on have included redesigning a contract matrix system to track all active FAS contracts. This helped me get familiar with the PO system to determine which contracts are currently active and find useful information to add to the matrix I developed. Additionally, by using inpatient length-of-stay data, we discovered five service lines that could be moved to outpatient. A deeper analysis led to identifying which specific procedures could be performed in the outpatient setting. I also helped develop a leadership academy course that FAS employees can enroll in to evolve their personal leadership skills.





Outside of work, I have been enjoying Iowa City in the summer! I’ve spent my time hanging out with my cohort members and exploring what Iowa City has to offer during the summer. I enjoyed a mini golf event downtown, the block party, Jones County Fair, and so much more! Additionally, I was able to travel to Chicago for my cousin’s wedding in June!



I am thankful for my experience this summer as I know what I have learned will aid me in my future career as a healthcare administrator!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Madison Anderson- CGH Medical Center (MHA '26)

Summer Internship: The Emory Clinic

Jashan Gill (MHA '24): University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics - Ambulatory Care Operations