Maddy Wilcox - Stead Family Children's Hospital (MHA '27)

Summer 2026 has been filled with incredible opportunities, meaningful experiences, and lasting relationships. As I wrap up my summer, I have taken time to reflect on everything I have learned throughout this journey.

I had the privilege of serving as the Administrative Intern at the Stead Family Children's Hospital under the leadership of Jim Leste and John Heinemann over the past 10 weeks. During my internship, I contributed to nearly 15 high-impact projects spanning multiple service lines and administrative functions across the children's hospital. While every project provided valuable experience, three of my primary initiatives included developing the first Stead Family Children's Hospital staff newsletter to strengthen leadership communication, creating provider and specialty scorecards to identify scheduling inefficiencies within the Pediatric Specialty Clinic, and designing an executive NICU dashboard that consolidates key performance indicators into a single reporting tool for hospital leadership.

Beyond these projects, one of the most rewarding aspects of the internship was the opportunity to meet one-on-one with department administrators, executive leaders, and physicians from across the organization. These conversations provided invaluable insight into the unique challenges and opportunities within each specialty while highlighting the critical partnership between clinical and administrative leadership. Hearing firsthand what effective leadership looks like and what continues to make Stead Family Children's Hospital a trusted destination for pediatric care reinforced my passion for healthcare administration.

While my projects provided an incredible learning experience, some of my favorite moments came from stepping outside the office and experiencing the hospital firsthand. I had the opportunity to shadow the Perioperative Services team, where I gained a greater appreciation for the coordination and collaboration required to deliver exceptional surgical care. I also witnessed the joy that defines the Stead Family Children's Hospital by welcoming NFL tight end T.J. Hockenson during his visit with patients and families. One of the most memorable experiences of the summer was joining Jim Leste on the local morning show to help taste-test ice cream toppings for pediatric patients. It’s always a nice reminder that even the smallest details can make a meaningful difference in a child's hospital experience. These opportunities gave me a unique perspective on the culture of the organization and reinforced that outstanding healthcare extends far beyond clinical care alone.

This summer I have been able to strengthen my skills in project management, data analytics, strategic communication, and executive collaboration while getting a deeper understanding of how thoughtful leadership directly impacts patients, families, and care teams. I am incredibly grateful to Jim Leste, John Heinemann, and everyone at Stead Family Children's Hospital who invested their time in mentoring and supporting me throughout the summer. As I begin my second year of the MHA program, I will carry these experiences with me and look forward to building on everything I have learned as I continue pursuing a career in healthcare leadership.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Madison Anderson- CGH Medical Center (MHA '26)

Summer Internship: The Emory Clinic

Jashan Gill (MHA '24): University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics - Ambulatory Care Operations