Maddie Meyer - UIHC Community Clinics (MHA '27)

Hello from Iowa City!

My name is Maddie Meyer, and this summer I had the opportunity to serve as an Administrative Intern with the University of Iowa Health Care Community Clinics. Community Clinics are located across Iowa and provide a wide variety of services, including QuickCare, urgent care, family medicine, pediatrics, specialty care, and more. Through these locations, UI Health Care can bring care closer to patients and communities throughout the state.

During my internship, I had the opportunity to work under the leadership of Debbie Herold, Zoe Horak, Bekka Cappussi, and Ryon Rasmussen. Their guidance allowed me to gain exposure to many different areas of ambulatory operations, planning, and service expansion while learning more about the work that happens behind the scenes to support clinics across Iowa.

One of my main projects this summer was developing a business plan for expanding Mohs dermatology services in the Quad Cities. This project allowed me to explore the operational, financial, and strategic considerations involved in expanding a specialty service to a new location. As part of the project, I had the opportunity to spend a day at the Iowa River Landing Mohs clinic, where I learned more about their day-to-day workflows and even got to help out in the lab! I also toured the proposed Quad Cities space to better understand the physical and operational needs of bringing Mohs services to the area. Seeing the current process firsthand helped me better understand the service I was planning for and connect my project work to actual clinic operations. I am excited to continue working on this project as a Graduate Assistant during the school year and see how it continues to develop!

Another exciting project I was involved in was the planning of a pediatric weight management clinic. I participated in meetings with stakeholders to discuss the clinic's needs, potential workflows, and considerations for developing a service that best supports patients and families. Being part of these conversations gave me valuable insight into how many different perspectives and decisions go into planning a new clinical service.

Beyond these larger projects, my internship gave me the opportunity to learn from leaders and team members throughout UI Health Care, visit different clinic locations, and better understand how Community Clinics support patients across the state. I especially enjoyed seeing how administrative work can directly contribute to expanding access to care and bringing services closer to the communities that need them.

Outside of my internship, I made sure to enjoy the summer as well! I spent plenty of time by the pool, traveled to Minnesota for a wedding, and volunteered at the local animal shelter. It was a busy but rewarding summer, and I am grateful for the experiences, relationships, and lessons I gained along the way.

As I head into another year of the University of Iowa MHA program, I am excited to continue with Community Clinics as a Graduate Assistant, build on the projects I started this summer, and continue learning more about healthcare administration across UI Health Care. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Madison Anderson- CGH Medical Center (MHA '26)

Summer Internship: The Emory Clinic

Jashan Gill (MHA '24): University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics - Ambulatory Care Operations