Emma Bryer - University of Iowa Patient Access Center (MHA '27)
Hello all!
My name is Emma Bryer, and I am currently the administrative intern with the UI Patient Access Center (PAC) under Keri Semrau! The PAC is located in HSSB in Coralville, but they handle scheduling appointments for patients across UI Healthcare. There are essentially two parts to the department, PAC schedulers, and the ICC, which focuses primarily on nurse triage. As the PAC is the centralized scheduling hub across UI Healthcare, we support patients by implementing efficient processes and improving access to care. Alongside Keri, who is the director, I also work with other managers, including operations, ancillary services, and training. This has allowed me to work on projects in various areas, with a focus on workflow and quality improvements.One of the projects I worked on this summer was gathering benchmarking data from the Patient Access Collaborative. I grabbed notable data and built a 130-slide presentation comparing UI HealthCare’s performance to overall benchmarked metrics. With this data, I met with Operations to present the slide deck and analyze strengths and areas for improvement within the health system. Comparing benchmarks is a great way to see how your health system is performing compared to others.
Another valuable project I worked on was helping lead a Request for Proposal (RFP) telephony needs assessment for a new phone line. I coordinated meetings with managers from different operational teams, facilitated the discussions, documented feedback, and then developed an analysis of requirements for a future phone system. It was imperative to have a diverse group of leaders within this RFP, as different departments have different needs and wants for a new phone line.
I also got the chance to work on standardizing a Referral Specialist role. There were multiple Referral Specialists across the system, but they were executing differing responsibilities. So, I met with the different clinic managers to analyze the responsibilities of their Referral Specialist and then developed a consistent role to be used across departments.
Outside of the internship, I have enjoyed spending lots of time with friends and family. Some weekends in Iowa City, and others back home in Chicago! In Iowa City, I’ve enjoyed going to the farmers market, lying out by the pool, and hanging out downtown. In Chicago, I went to exciting events such as my brother’s wedding, which was a blast! I love going back home to see friends, family, my baby nephews, and my dog! I’ve had a great summer filled with opportunities for professional and personal growth.
Comments
Post a Comment