Summer Internship: JPS Health Network

By: Sasha Manouchehripour (MHA '18)

Greetings from Cowtown!

This summer I have had an amazing opportunity to intern at JPS Health Network in Fort Worth, Texas. JPS is a 537-bed hospital located in the heart of Fort Worth. We are a Level 1 trauma center and the county hospital, so we provide care to those who have nowhere else to go. A large portion of our patient population is uninsured, but we still provide excellent care! JPS was recently nominated as a Top 100 place to work in Dallas-Fort Worth, and were voted as one of the Top 150 Places to Work by Modern Healthcare.

My preceptor, Kathleen Whelan, is the Vice President of Clinical Operations. She has been a wonderful resource to me. One of the greatest things about JPS is our leadership team. Every senior leader has an open-door policy and want the interns to learn as much as possible. Our CEO, Mr. Robert Earley, has three Rules of the Road—Own It, Seek Joy, and Don’t Be a Jerk. These three rules are practiced in our organization every day, so much that they are even written on our badges.

During my time at JPS I have spent time in several departments. I have had the opportunity to work on projects in Patient Experience, Radiology, Strategic Planning, Community Health, and Behavioral Health. My largest project this summer has been in Behavioral Health. This summer we decided to internalize the Utilization Management department within Behavioral Health. I have spent my summer gathering baseline denial data, setting goals, creating new workflows, re-vamping job descriptions, interviewing potential candidates, and creating a New Hire Training Manual. In addition to my projects I have had some awesome shadowing opportunities including the police department, home visits in the community, and sitting in on a prenatal class at the county jail. I am able to attend any and all meetings including the board meetings and all of the senior leadership meetings.

I am originally from Dallas-Fort Worth, so it has been nice being back home and spending time with my friends and family. This summer I have been able to explore my hometown – I’ve gone to the rodeo, attended a music festival, and eaten lots of tacos!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group