Summer Internship: UC Davis

By: Claire Champlain (MHA ’18)

Hello from the sunny (and HOT) state of California! I’m writing this as I start the last week of my internship at University of California Davis Medical Center in Sacramento. UC Davis is a 627-bed facility that hosts the only level 1 trauma center for both adult and pediatric emergencies in inland Northern California.  

I have been extremely lucky this summer to have the opportunity to work in such an amazing academic medical center and to learn about the daily operations of a large hospital. I have an awesome preceptor, Ann Boynton, who is the director of the Payer Strategies & Value Based Contract Management and of the Care Services and Innovation departments. She most recently took the role as the interim director of Public Affairs and Marketing. Needless to say, I’ve gotten exposure to a handful of different departments and services!

The UC Davis Internship Program has a total of four interns, all in different departments. As an intern group we have had meet and greets with the entire Executive Leadership Team as well as several directors. We worked on a group project throughout the duration of the summer and enjoyed many lunches and outings together. One of my favorite outings was attending the UC Davis Staff Appreciation event at the Sacramento Republic soccer game.

Aside from working on the medical campus, I have taken full advantage of everything California has to offer. I’ve made weekend trips to wine country out in Napa and Sonoma, and to the gorgeous area of Lake Tahoe. I also visited some of my friends in the Los Angeles area, which was super fun! Being so close to San Francisco also provides great opportunities to explore the Bay Area.

Despite the fun I’ve been having this summer, I am beyond excited to be reunited with my cohort back in Iowa City to hear what everyone has been up to this summer!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group