Summer Internship: Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center

By: Lauren Waggoner (MHA ’18)

Hello from the Sweetest Place on Earth!

This summer, I have had the opportunity to intern in Hershey, Pennsylvania at Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center. Penn State Hershey is a 548 bed hospital located in central Pennsylvania. During my time here at Penn State my preceptor has been the Chief Strategy Officer of the organization, Tom Stoessel. Mr. Stoessel is in charge of advancing the strategic initiatives of the organization as well as ensuring that Penn State Health is adapting to its dynamic competitive environment.

During my time here at Penn State I have had the opportunity to be involved in numerous projects. I am currently working on a micro-hospital project. Micro-hospitals are an emerging trend in healthcare that began in Texas with the objective of providing an alternative access point for low acuity patients. During this project I have been tasked with analyzing our five acute care markets and evaluating the most optimal location to make this large investment.

I have also had the opportunity to be exposed to many high level executives. During the first month of my internship I had meet-and-greets with high level executives in the organization. I also had the opportunity to attend the Penn State Medical Center board meeting and Penn State Health board meeting. These opportunities have helped me gain a better understanding of the structure of the organization and have helped me build a network that I know will last throughout my career.

I have been traveling the East Coast in my free time. On the weekends I have been able to visit New York City, Long Island, Baltimore, and Washington DC. All of these locations are within a few hours of Hershey so there has been ample opportunity for exploring! Country greats Brett Eldridge, Luke Bryan and Florida Georgia Line have also graced us with their presence in Hershey, putting on some amazing concerts. Between work and traveling the East Coast I have rarely been bored, but I am eager to reunite with all my classmates in Iowa City soon!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group