Summer Internship: Edwards Lifesciences

By: Matt Brummond (MBA/MHA ‘20)

Hello from beautiful Southern California!
This summer I am working for Edwards Lifesciences as an intern in the Global Health Economics and Reimbursement (GHER) department.  Edwards (NYSE: EW) is a medical device company headquartered in Irvine, CA.  The Irvine campus has eight buildings and houses 4,000 of the company’s 12,000 employees.  Edwards specializes in producing transcatheter heart valves and critical care monitoring technology.

The GHER department conducts outcomes research, reacts to changes to healthcare policy and reimbursement, and works to improve market access for Edwards products.  My role on the GHER team has been supporting the Critical Care business unit.  I have been fortunate to work on a wide range of projects that has provided me with a great learning experience.  For one of my projects I analyzed data and created graphs and figures for a manuscript on perioperative hypotension that is being submitted for publishing.  For another project, I was the lead on completing a vignette that explains how quality measures work.  My major project has been researching gaps in outcomes evidence for a newly acquired product and working with the marketing team to determine the best opportunities for future evidence development that aligns with the marketing and strategy for the product.  

Outside of work, I have tried to make the most of my time in SoCal and all it has to offer.  I have been able to experience the local beaches including Newport, Huntington, Laguna and Long Beach. I traveled down to San Diego to visit Pacific Beach, Del Mar Racetrack and the world-famous San Diego Zoo.  And I have made it to both Dodger Stadium and Angel Stadium to watch some baseball and even saw a no-hitter!

As much as I have enjoyed my time at Edwards and in Southern California, I am excited to head back to Iowa City and join my classmates for the fall semester!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group