Summer Internship: Jefferson Health

By: Libby Kovert (MHA '20)

Hello from Philadelphia! I have had the opportunity to spend my summer with Jefferson Health at the Methodist Hospital. Jefferson Methodist Hospital is a 168-bed inpatient urban community hospital located in South Philadelphia. I am lucky to be exposed to various types of healthcare settings, whether it be staying at Jefferson Methodist in South Philadelphia, traveling to the academic medical center, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, located in Center City, or visit the Navy Yard that houses ambulatory services. I have had an incredible experience and I am sad to be leaving in just two short weeks.
I am fortunate to have Dennis Delisle, Vice President of Operations, as my preceptor. During my time as an Administrative Intern, I have been exposed to high level meetings and participated in collaborative discussions. I am currently working on creating a surge plan for the hospital to ensure proper allocation of staff and resources in the event that the hospital reaches a point of over-capacity. Additionally, I have been working closely with interprofessional colleagues to lead focus groups to develop a Leadership Peer Interviewing structure and increase efficiency in patient flow for the Ambulatory Procedure Unit. These projects plus many more have allowed me to use my skills from my first year at Iowa and grow as a professional.
Not only do I interact with staff members, but I have had the opportunity to speak with patients. I participate in weekly Leadership Rounds in which I interview and engage patients and employees to determine opportunities for improvement. This has been such a valuable experience as we strive to provide the highest level of care.

Philadelphia is a bustling city and you will never find yourself bored. Outside of work, I enjoy walking through the Reading Terminal Market, attending local festivals and trying new restaurants. But, the place you will find me most frequently on the weekends is the beach. The beach, New York City, and Washington D.C. are all a quick couple of hours away for a weekend getaway.

I have thoroughly enjoyed my experience at Jefferson Health and cannot wait to get back to Iowa City!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group