Summer Internship: Advocate Good Shepherd Hospital

By: Jay Shah (MHA '20)

Hello everyone!

As I write this blog, my ninth week as an intern at the Advocate Good Shepherd Hospital is coming to an end. It is unbelievable how fast the time has gone by.

Advocate Good Shepherd Hospital is a leader in delivering the most advanced medical technologies and comprehensive health care services in Illinois’ northwest suburbs. It is part of Advocate Aurora Health, the 10th largest not-for-profit, integrated health system in the United States. Located in Barrington, IL, it is the largest health care delivery system in the state.

I am fortunate that I got such an amazing opportunity to be an Administrative Intern for this health system. I work under the direction of Matt Pattelli, Vice President of Human Resources. To enhance my learning experience, Matt had given me freedom to work with and learn from the entire executive leadership team.

Preparing a talent management report was one of the major projects that I had worked on. The purpose was to create a tool that key stakeholders can use in making important decisions to ensure that right person, is in the right position, at the right time. As a part of this project, I had identified emerging leaders to meet the demands of the business across the PSA region and areas where the system does not have desired bench strength. The goal of my second major project was to create a catalogue of services that hospital offers and to identify possible areas of improvement for the hospital to reduce preventable hospitalization, which would be both cost-effective for the hospital and efficient for patients.

To get an all-round experience, in addition to working on projects, I participated in executive and manager meetings, observed surgery, had one-on-ones with the department leaders to know them and their work better, and went on rounding with the executive team.

Being in Chicago’s Suburb (and hour and half train ride from downtown Chicago), there was no shortage of things to do. Exploring the city with friends, joining a cricket team, enjoying the thrill of Six Flags, and a trip to St. Louis were few things that I enjoyed doing this summer.

This internship has been a good experience for me, and I plan on making the most of it from the remaining time. Being back home and spending time with family and friends was a joy. I am looking forward to starting my second year, catch-up with my classmates, and meet the new cohort.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group