Summer Internship: University of Iowa Physicians

By: Madeline Cornell (MHA ‘20)

Hi Everyone!

This week I will conclude my ten-week internship with University of Iowa Physicians. UIP is a multi-specialty medical and surgical group affiliated with the University of Iowa Hospital and Clinics (UIHC). Additionally, UIP oversees operations at several clinics (QuickCare and UrgentCare) throughout Iowa City and the surrounding areas.

Working at UIP this summer has been extremely insightful and enjoyable. Since UIP is affiliated with UIHC, I have had the best of both worlds, gaining experience at both the clinic level and at the academic medical center level. This combination has taught me the value of collaboration and integration; moreover, it has really taught me how dynamic healthcare can be. 

My projects have been associated with the Admission and Transfer Center, which is responsible for transferring and admitting patients from other hospitals and institutions to UIHC. Here, my work involves throughput, workflow, optimization, and efficiency. Most importantly, my work has focused on how improved throughput and operations can optimize the patient experience (such as decreasing wait times, decreasing length of stay, improving non-readmission rates, etc.).

The exposure I have been given at UIP has been a highlight of the summer as well. Each week, I round with the other interns affiliated with UIP/UIHC – rounding directly exposes us to executive leadership and departmental directors. Being able to learn about an organization from multiple angles has been awesome because I now have a firmer understanding of what it actually means to run a hospital – from touring the boiler rooms to walking the trash route with housekeeping, I’ve seen firsthand there is so much more to administration than I thought. 

Being able to spend the summer in Iowa City with a great group of my colleagues has been amazing. Birthday celebrations, Blues hockey victories, music festivals, movie nights, weekend excursions, and outdoor time has really allowed us to become closer and appreciate one another for who we are.

Overall, I am very grateful for my summer, which has been filled with both professional and personal growth. Bring on year two of the University of Iowa MHA program, GO HAWKS! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group