Summer Internship: Dean Health Plan

By: Steven Alcantara (MHA ‘20)

Hello and good tidings from Madison, Wisconsin!  I am writing this blog as I finish my last week at my graduate level internship at Dean Health Plan.  Dean Health Plan is an insurance company owned by SSM Health and is part of their Integrated Delivery Network (IDN).  Dean Health Plan is the largest insurance provider in the state of Wisconsin followed by Quartz Health Insurance which is owned by UW-Health.  My internship experience consisted of working on the Portfolio Team at Dean Health Plan.

I am very lucky to be working with Elizabeth Witt in the Portfolio Department of Dean Health Plan.  She has 20+ years of experience working in the consulting field working for big companies such as Blue Cross California doing other portfolio related projects. 

Dean Health Plan had a total of 10 interns overall from departments ranging in fields from portfolio, IT, healthcare management, and much more.  As a portfolio intern I was very involved with all the projects within the organization regardless of the departments that they include.  I have been fortunate to work with those in the IT departments, finance departments, marketing departments, and compliance departments throughout my experience at Dean Health Plan.  My projects have ranged from working on the due diligence investigation of vendors to managing the delivery of a high priority item. 

Outside of work I’ve been extremely fortunate to live in a city that provided so much to me.  Madison is an isthmus and has two fantastic lakes that allow for entertainment such as kayaking, waterboarding, canoeing, sailing, and boating.  Madison also has many unique music venues and is home to one of the most successful comedy club’s known in the country.

Whether I was busy working on projects of busy enjoying the town I was never bored in Madison.  Even then, I am so excited to see those in my program and continue my education within healthcare administration.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group