Conner Welch (MHA '22): Office of Statewide Clinical Education Programs

Hello everyone! I’ve been spending my summer in Iowa City with the Office of Statewide Clinical Education Programs (OSCEP). OSCEP, part of the University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine, serves to develop and coordinate collegiate outreach programs for medical education and community service. My internship is specifically in the community service division.

I’ve really enjoyed spending most of my time with my preceptor Lynette Lancial and co-intern, Annie Schaefer. Lynette is an alum of the MHA program, and Annie is an incoming first-year MHA student. The rest of the team at OSCEP has been great to work with and learn from as well. My main project has been working on publishing the 2021-2022 Iowa Medical Practice Opportunities Directories. The directories are distributed to physicians and advanced practice providers looking to practice in the state of Iowa. It has been an awesome experience connecting with executives and providers from all over the state to determine their workforce needs.

In addition to completing the opportunities directories, I’ve been able to participate in reviewing contracts for residents. Through this, I’ve learned a lot more about different aspects of physician contracts, such as compensation, recruitment incentives, and restrictive covenants. Annie and I were also able to participate in a 2-day Lean training program through UIHC. If anyone has the chance to take part in future training programs with the UIHC quality improvement team, I would highly recommend it. It was a fun and interactive couple of days. Finally, I’ve had the opportunity to participate and present in numerous meetings throughout the summer. Sincere thanks to everyone at OSCEP who has helped make this internship an invaluable experience.

Outside of work, I’ve stayed pretty busy. In Iowa City, I’ve been checking out different parks and trails, losing way too many golf balls, and going to local events like the Iowa City Block Party. I’ve also had a lot of travel and lake time with family and friends. All in all, my whole summer has been a blast. Looking forward to getting started up with school again soon!

*A Note From The Editor*

If you would like to keep up with Conner, you can find him here on LinkedIn!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group