Sarah Reckling (JD/MHA '22): Attorney General’s Office of Iowa - Human Services Division

Hello from Des Moines! This summer, I had the honor of working as a fellow at the Attorney General’s Office of Iowa in the Human Services Division. 

I spend half my time doing health law-related work (Social Security, FMLA, Medicaid, Medicare, etc.) and the other half working on juvenile law. I originally came into this summer as a legal intern and was awarded an honorary fellowship with the Iowa Children’s Justice Department. 

The work I do for the Iowa Children’s Justice Department entails redrafting Iowa Code Chapter 232 (juvenile justice), writing the annual Juvenile Case Law Update, child abuse registry appeals, and termination of parental rights appeals. I also had the opportunity to observe hearings, trials, and appellate arguments. 

One of my favorite aspects of this fellowship has been the incredible team I have had to learn from. Although I will not be staying in Iowa post-graduation, I would strongly encourage any law student to work as an intern or apply for a full-time position. The team truly dedicated their time to improving my legal writing and research skills and showing me the ropes! As an additional bonus, they are all incredibly friendly, funny, and kind 😊.  

Outside of my time at the AG’s office, I took a family vacation to Breckenridge, CO. I went white river rafting, hiking, and I tried yoga on a paddleboard for the first time! No, I did not fall in 😊. If you have never been to Breckenridge before, I strongly encourage (whether you go in the summer or winter) to toss it on your bucket list! 

*A Note From The Editor*

If you would like to keep up with Sarah, you can find her here on LinkedIn!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group