Joe Promes (MHA '22): Deloitte

Hello from Chicago!...Errr….Iowa City!

This summer, I have had the wonderful opportunity to intern at Deloitte in the Chicago office. I intended to spend the summer living in Chicago but ended up staying in Iowa City instead (Pro Tip: if you plan to live in another city for the summer, make sure you start looking for places to live more than a month in advance of when you need to move in). My summer has been an incredible experience, full of personal growth, professional development, and exciting opportunities!

This summer, I was staffed on a project working with a large, regional health plan based in the Mid-Atlantic region of the U.S. This health plan engaged Deloitte early last year to assist with the design and implementation of a vendor-supplied care management platform. This platform was selected to improve a service they were providing using their multi-system, homegrown platform that wasn’t meeting their needs, primarily in the areas of data interconnectivity, reporting, and adaptability of the system to the future needs of the health plan and the care management program.

My main role within the project was as the PMO for the development of an add-on to one of the lines of business already Live within the implemented care management platform. This role was perfect for my internship as it didn’t require me to get too into the weeds of one of the technical aspects of the project and allowed me to gain general competence in all technical areas. I was able to provide an interconnection between the individual silos that made up the project structure and coordinated the timely delivery of platform design requirements to the care management vendor. Outside of my main PMO role, I was involved with several ad hoc deliverables, including a financial forecasting project that allowed me to stretch my analytical legs a little. All-in-all I couldn’t have asked for a better summer experience!

For me, one of the biggest draws for consulting is the ability to travel to a variety of different destinations. Although this year’s internship was virtual, and I didn’t get the full traveling experience, I did get the opportunity to travel to Baltimore in late July to meet up with some of the account leadership and project team members. I had a great time and made some wonderful connections! I also got to travel to Chicago in early July with some friends. We went to a Cubs game, and I got to check Wrigley field off my baseball stadium bucket list.

I am looking forward to reconnecting with my classmates this fall and hearing all about their summer experiences!

*A Note From The Editor*

If you would like to keep up with Joe, you can find him here on LinkedIn!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group