Shambhavi Pokhriyal (MHA ’22): University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics

Greetings from UIHC, Iowa City, Iowa!

This summer, I was fortunate to spend my time at UIHC with Jennifer Miller, Director, Support Services. Her office handles various departments under support services, including Engineering Services, Security, Environmental Services, Food and Nutrition Services, Integrated Services Center, Project Art, Employee health, and Compliance.

During my ten weeks internship, I was given some excellent learning opportunities in hospital operations, policy. My main project involved the development of a strategic process improvement initiative within Perioperative Services and the Operating Room to detect misplaced surgical instruments. For this, I collaborated with different departments, including environmental services, nursing, and anesthesia in perioperative services, sterilization services, and supply chain. The objective of this initiative was perioperative process improvement, prevention of financial loss and surgical instrument supply shortage, and increasing employee accountability. Additionally, I was involved in other projects like aiding UIHC in Joint Commission visit for the purpose of finding discrepancies and identify best practice for institutional accreditation.

Apart from my projects, some of the unique experiences that I got during my internship were observing physicians and nurses work in OR, shadowing Integrated Services Center (ISC) and supply chain of surgical instruments, participating and presenting in meetings and daily huddles with high-level leadership, and rounding experiences with different departments such as community clinics, safety and security, patient experience, and pharmacy. My project work, along with the shadowing experiences, gave me a holistic understanding of healthcare that was missing before. 

Outside of work, I spent time most of my time with my daughter, exploring the city, trying local cuisines, and talking to my family back in India. Having an internship at UIHC was a truly enriching experience. For that, I would like to extend my sincere thanks to my preceptor Jennifer Miller for giving me this incredible learning opportunity and Todd Linden and Dan Shane for their support and mentorship during the internship search process! 

*A Note From The Editor*

If you would like to keep up with Shambhavi, you can find her here on LinkedIn!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group