Brenton Shrock - Holden Comprehensive Cancer Center (MHA '27)

Greetings from Iowa City!

My name is Brenton Shrock, and I am the administrative intern at Holden Comprehensive Cancer Center at the University of Iowa Health Care this summer. My preceptor is Rachel Kirchner, Executive Administrator for Oncology Service Line at UIHC. Holden Cancer Center is Iowa’s only NCI-designated comprehensive cancer center and offers high-acuity oncology care. This includes infusion, chemotherapy, CAR T-cell therapy, surgical and radiation oncology, and much more!

This summer has provided me with the opportunity to learn, observe, and put my skills to the test. During my time, I have been able to participate in leadership and clinical meetings, attend high-level director’s meetings across UIHC, and lead the implementation of new initiatives at Holden. 

One of my first projects this summer included working with The Institute for Public Health Practice, Research and Policy (IPHPRP) to curate written portions of the Combat Cancer Technical Assistance program as part of the Rural Health Transformation Act. This project included grant writing, specifically looking at an inventory and gap analysis of oncology resources across the state of Iowa. This project allowed me to understand the importance of grant writing and to look into how many organizations and stakeholders are working to strengthen oncology services for all Iowans. 

My second summer project was to implement new disposable exam curtains at Holden. I sourced an outside vendor, ICP Medical Vendors, to understand how these would work for our clinical areas. Our most important aspect of this project was to maintain infection control. This project gave me the opportunity to work with various stakeholders, including nurse managers, nursing staff, and other key leaders. I learned that clear and open communication with vendors was the key to success in such a large and important project. In the coming weeks, all our new curtains will be installed in the exam rooms at Holden!  

Some of my other projects over the summer included working on improving our gynecology/oncology workrooms and clinics, creating a scorecard for our cancer registry team, completing a provider compensation audit, and planning cold-cap expansion across HCCC. I have enjoyed learning about the oncology services and therapies offered to patients. I have also had the pleasure of shadowing various departments across UIHC, even getting the chance to observe a Da Vinci robotic surgery. 

Outside of the internship, I have enjoyed summer nights in Iowa City with friends and lots of time in the water. A highlight this summer was enjoying the lake and eating good food! I am grateful for this experience at HCCC and the ability to gain a better perspective on healthcare from leaders and staff. I will end with a big shoutout to all the staff at Holden who help care for patients and families who are affected by cancer. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Madison Anderson- CGH Medical Center (MHA '26)

Summer Internship: The Emory Clinic

Jashan Gill (MHA '24): University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics - Ambulatory Care Operations