Mary Woodward - ChildServe (MHA '27)
Hello from the Des Moines metro!
This summer I’ve had the amazing opportunity to be the Administrative Intern for ChildServe Inc. at the main location in Johnston! ChildServe is the first and only children’s specialty hospital in Iowa, helping over 6,000 kids with special healthcare needs a year across five locations live a great life. ChildServe offers complex medical care, pediatric rehabilitation, autism and behavioral health, and community-based services.This summer I’ve worked closely with my preceptor Kelly Pearce and 2027 MHA program graduate, Aidan Cunningham who is the current fellow! One project that Aidan and I have been working on is the development of ChildServe’ s student opportunities and expansion of educational programming. This project has involved analyzing our current operating systems, creating a document repository, identifying new opportunities and creating a standardized experience for all students who come to ChildServe.My other projects have ranged across services and departments. One project focuses on updating and standardizing the incident reporting system which required coordination across teams and allowed me the opportunity to lead meetings! For ChildServe’ s community-based services department, I have re-aligned process documents, created learning aids for staff and outlined future continuous improvement projects. I’ve also conducted research to explore best practices and clinical opportunities!
One of the best parts of my internship has been the full access to schedule introduction meetings with all levels of staff, especially directors, vice presidents and the C-suite. However, my absolute favorite part of my time has been shadowing and observing with ChildServe therapists and clinicians. I’ve run laps outside with physical therapy clients, created slime with children and young adults on our inpatient units, wandered through the accessible spaceship themed playground with occupational therapy patients and so much more. I also spent time in the Developmental and Home Enteral Nutrition Clinics and met patients and their families ranging from newborns to three years old!
Outside of my time at ChildServe I have been exploring Des Moines and visiting friends and family! I also had the opportunities to get out my cocktail attire and dancing shoes to attend the 2026 MercyOne House of Mercy Game Show Gala with ChildServe executive leaders, which was a blast! I have absolutely loved my time with ChildServe and am so thankful for the unique opportunities and experiences my preceptor and coworkers have provided me!
Comments
Post a Comment