Eric Ramos (MHA '23): UI Health Care - Finance & Accounting

Hi all from the city of Iowa, Iowa City. I am interning at UI Health Care in Finance & Accounting Services. Beth Jaggers is my formal preceptor, and she is Senior Director of Decision Support & Population Health. However, my work supports 5 directors in their various finance roles. 

Beth had a long list of projects and great initiatives for us to work on when we arrived that were split between my fellow classmate Mitchel and I. My tasks include working on staff engagement initiatives by creating a departmental newsletter emphasizing a supportive work culture, assisting in creating business plan and proforma for telehealth services, assisting in Medicaid quality and data reporting, and assisting with clinical department administrator trainings. Beth allows you to manage your self and trusts you to manage up.

This job has been so flexible in allowing me to work from home and from the office. Furthermore, Beth is very open with what is on her calendar and will let me hop in on any meeting that I want to be apart of. The finance directors have been incredibly welcoming, and I’ve gotten the opportunity to be invited to their director’s lunches where I learn not only about them personally but about UI Health Care. 

I also participated in UIHC’s 2-day lean training put on by the Quality Improvement team at UIHC. This experience was engaging, creative, informative, and downright fun. I would recommend anyone who can take this course to take it. I have also had the opportunity this summer to sit on some student panel
s for visiting students, say farewell to Tom Vaughn at his retirement, and get some well needed R&R. 

This has honestly been one of the best summers as I have just been having fun and enjoying my time with the people closest to me. I have gone donkey racing, enjoyed the county fair, experienced the Iowa City block party, eaten Crumbl cookies every week (best flavor so far has been s’mores brownie), jet skied with my family, and it has been so great. I started working at Trader Joe’s and it is honestly incredible. It has made me a 100% Trader Joe’s fanatic. For the rest of the summer, my goal is to go to Adventure Land, Wisconsin Dells, Omaha Zoo, and Chicago before the summer ends!

*A Note From The Editor*

If you would like to keep up with Eric, you can find him here on LinkedIn!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group