Sidney Smolik (MHA '23): UnityPoint Health Des Moines

Hello from Des Moines, Iowa!  

This summer I have had the incredible opportunity to work for UnityPoint Health Des Moines as an Administrative Intern under the direct mentorship of Thomas Mulrooney, an alumnus of the Iowa MHA program, and a current Vice President and COO (Chief Operating Officer) of UnityPoint Health Des Moines. Tom is an administrator who leads by example and is dedicated to mentoring other leaders within healthcare. He has been a part of UnityPoint Health since graduating from the Iowa MHA program. Tom makes it a priority to connect with everyone within the organization and is an advocate for patients, staff members, and community membersUnityPoint Health Des Moines is a healthcare leader within the community with a promise that every individual matters to this world. This region expands over three hospital locations with various clinic locations within the region as well. The culture of this organization is astounding. As an individual you feel welcomed and heard. Walking through the hallways every day, you will see a familiar face and can easily make conversation with them. This organization ensures that patients are not just a diagnosis but an individual with a name and needs who deserves incredible care. This mindset is the same when it comes to the staff at UnityPoint Health Des Moines, who are constantly supported and heard by leadership. The healthcare workers at UPH Des Moines are dedicated to making a difference every day they come to work. As an intern, you also feel this support. You can connect with others within the organization and gain a wide range of opportunities within the hospital and clinic setting to learn and work with others.  

So far during my internship, I have had the opportunity to work on a variety of projects. My work has been focused on projects with our Kidney Transplant Center, Pediatrics and Women’s Services, and a data analysis project looking at the value of a hospital campus within our region. Alongside my projects, I have had the opportunity to observe surgery, attend leadership meetings along with department meetings where I can share my work, engage with community members at a company health fair, and shadow administrators within the hospital and clinic environment. At UnityPoint Health Des Moines, everyone is willing and eager to have you jump in as an administrative intern. Whether it is an ongoing project, surgery, meeting, or professional development opportunity, you will feel valued when working at UnityPoint Health Des Moines. 

Overall, my project work has been challenging and has helped me grow intellectually and professionally. I have consistently felt supported as I am learning and growing in my internship, and I am extremely thankful for what I have been able to experience thus far during my time at UnityPoint Health Des Moines. I am looking forward to what is ahead during the last half of my internship here at this organization

Outside of work, there is always something to do here in Des Moines. On Saturday mornings, there is
 always a farmers' market in Downtown Des Moines, various walking paths for me and my dog, and lots of ice cream shops. I am from the Des Moines area, so I get to spend a lot of time at home, on the lake, or mini-golfing. Overall, I have really enjoyed my summer here in Des Moines and I am looking forward to the upcoming year in the Iowa MHA program! 
 

*A Note From The Editor*

If you would like to keep up with Sidney, you can find her here on LinkedIn!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group