Taylor Murray (MHA '23): University of Iowa Hospital and Clinics - Orthopedics

Hello from the University of Iowa!

I have the opportunity of doing my internship with the UIHC Department of Orthopedics. I’ve been able to be involved with and have exposure to multiple different areas of Orthopedics including sports medicine, work injury, and pediatrics. My internship is unique in that it is eighteen months total – I started last January and will continue in this role through graduation next spring. So far in this experience, I have gotten to work on many projects dealing with strategy, process improvement, clinical operations, and finance with a host of different leadership members within the department as well as outside of it.

My primary project that has been ongoing since my start in January has been a strategic assessment that aligns the priorities and goals of departmental leadership with the organization’s strategic plan. The project has included the development of a scorecard that is updated monthly and presented on quarterly that tracks the progress of each project, the metrics used to measure success, and monitor results. In June, I help plan and facilitate a leadership retreat that was attended by all members of the leadership team where the strategic assessment was discussed in detail.

Along side this project, I have been able to work on several others as well. I have worked with our finance and insurance manager to audit post-surgical codes for errors that affect reimbursement, reviewed budgets, and examined clinic utilization. I also updated the clinic and operating room master schedule in a format that is used to track where the residents are. I recently got involved with a project between nursing and QuIP that looks to improve the efficiency of one of our specialty clinics through time studies and process mapping. One of the best parts of the projects I get to work on is that I often get to present to a wide range of people. When I’m not working on projects, I spend my time in various meetings or shadowing faculty and clinical staff. I’ve also had the opportunity to help our front line with check-in at the reception desk in a time where help is needed, which has also given me the chance to interact with patients and see ground level operations first-hand. This is just a small sample of projects that I’ve gotten the opportunity to be a part of, and I’m excited to see what comes next!

Outside of work, I’ve spent most of my time running, golfing, fishing, and hanging out with my cat at home. The experience so far has been great, and I’m looking forward to getting to continue these projects well after the summer ends and have already learned a lot in the relatively short time I have been here.


*A Note From The Editor*

If you would like to keep up with Taylor, you can find him here on LinkedIn!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group