Assjad (AJ) Haj (MHA '23): Deloitte

Hello from Chicago! This summer, I had the opportunity to intern for 10 weeks as a Summer Associate at Deloitte. I was assigned to the Chicago office and moved to the city for the summer, luckily, I found an apartment just a 10–15-minute walk to office so it has given me the chance to not only explore the city but meet new friends! The summer has been filled with multiple networking opportunities, professional growth, and the chance to work on an impactful project that aligns to my career goals.

For the summer, I was staffed on a non-public joint venture between an academic medical center (AMC) and a community hospital. The AMC has reached a point where they are at a capacity constraint and require relief for their inpatients and an additional care destination for their patient pool. On the other hand, the community hospital is looking to utilize their excess capacity across various service lines and grow. Together this will not only benefit both entities but promote accessible affordable care to the community in a timely matter. As our client, Deloitte has stepped into this project to manage the joint venture while facilitating conversation between not only one, but both clients. Multiple teams from Deloitte are working with the client, however I was placed on a team that focused on the operational side of the joint venture. There is a total of six workstreams: Due Diligence, Valuation, Financial Modeling, Operational Planning, Clinical Operating Model & Governance, and Definitive Agreement & Closing Documents. I have had the opportunity to work in the Operational Planning and Clinical Operating Model & Governance workstreams.

On a joint venture project, we typically meet with the client 2 – 4 times a week. This requires decks or PowerPoint presentations to be presented to the client with project updates, operational status, due diligence requirements, and next steps to consider. I worked closely with my team to prepare client presentations, operational planning, and conducted internal research to prepare for milestones related to the project. My role in the project was to bring in a clinical point of view to the team, this includes considering the patient, clinical staff, CMS requirements (Medicare and Medicaid), federal and state policies and procedures, laws (HIPPA), technology, and health information system considerations (e.g., electronic health records: EPIC).

The project allowed me to experience not only the clinical and health side of the healthcare industry, but the business side as well. I have gained such an insight when it comes to the back end of a hospital especially in the merger and acquisition (M&A) space. My team is located out of different office across the United States, we had the opportunity to co-locate to Atlanta, GA early July and attended the Mets vs Braves baseball game (my first ever baseball game!). Additionally, while I write this blog, I am currently on the plane to go to a Summer Associate intern conference in Scottsdale, Arizona! All in all, my summer internship has been such an amazing experience and I cannot wait to be back in Iowa to see everyone!

Go Hawks!

 

*A Note From The Editor*

If you would like to keep up with AJ, you can find her here on LinkedIn


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group