Eleanor Jansen (MHA '23): University of Iowa Hospital & Clinics - Strategy

This summer I've had the opportunity to intern at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics (UIHC) under Chief Strategy Officer Tim Kan. Tim and his team are responsible for the strategic vision of the organization both internally and across the state of Iowa. From day one, the Growth Team has kindly welcomed and incorporated me in many of their discussions around key service line expansion, regional growth, and provider relations. It has been a privilege to observe how leaders within the organization think about expanding UIHC's reach across the state to bring care to those who need it.

Since starting this experience in May, I've worked on several individual projects and provided support across many ongoing initiatives. One of my main tasks for the summer involved a regional market analysis for dermatological services. I evaluated supply and demand for services in different regions of the state and proposed additional provider placements for FY2023. I also had the opportunity to work with strategic and operational leadership to analyze opportunities for expanding clinic hours across UIHC locations. I conducted internal and external research including regional competition, clinic level-loading, scheduling to appointment lag time, and referral metrics. Using this data, I identified and proposed 6 clinics as candidates for expanded hours across the organization.

In addition to my project work, I've enjoyed getting more familiar with the hospital through informational seminars, rounding experiences, and space surveying with my co-interns. Some highlights include the Emergency Department, volunteer services, Iowa River Landing clinic locations, the inpatient psychiatry unit, and UIHC community clinics.

This was my first summer spent in Iowa City and I've loved exploring the area with my partner, Derrick, and our puppy Arlo. We've enjoyed trying new places to eat, finding new walking trails, Saturday farmer's markets, and checking out everything else Iowa City has to offer!

*A Note From The Editor*

If you would like to keep up with Eleanor, you can find her here on LinkedIn!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group