Summer Internship: New Ulm Medical Center


By: Anna Kate Kollasch (MHA '20)


Hello from New Ulm!

This summer I am the graduate administrative intern at New Ulm Medical Center (NUMC) in New Ulm, Minnesota. NUMC is a part of Allina Health which is a non-profit system based out of Minneapolis with 13 hospitals across Minnesota and western Wisconsin. NUMC is a critical access hospital with a reputation for being a leader in rural healthcare in both quality and organizational culture. In the last two months they have received the National Rural Health Association Top 20 Critical Access Hospital award and the Minnesota Hospital Association Top Hospital Workplace award.

I am under the direction of NUMC president, Toby Freier, but I have had the chance to work with and learn from the entire senior leadership team including Iowa alum Brie Taralson (MHA ‘09), director of clinic operations. My major focus is an analysis of clinic exam room space utilization as there are a total of nine new providers coming to NUMC over the next 100 days. My other current projects include the establishment of a breast cancer risk assessment program, mental health department renovation plans, orthopedic service line strategy, and a geographic analysis of health risk factors. I’m looking forward to getting more exposure to the Heart of New Ulm wellness initiative and attending meetings with leaders throughout Allina Health as the summer progresses.

Overall, I am impressed by the access to data analytics available at NUMC and how it is transformed into actionable information used by leadership. I have thoroughly appreciated the hospitable culture at NUMC and the palpable commitment to patient care and safety throughout the organization. To accompany project work, I have sat in on a variety of meetings and participated in discussion to broaden my educational experience.  

Outside of my internship I am involved in the New Ulm intern program through the chamber of commerce. I have enjoyed the parks, bike trail, restaurants, and library in New Ulm and I have explored southern Minnesota bike trails. Throughout the rest of the summer I will attend celebrations in New Ulm, go camping, and go on a trip to Kentucky.

It has been a joy to see friends and family this summer who live closer to New Ulm than Iowa City, but I am looking forward to reuniting with my wonderful MHA classmates in August for our second year!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group