Summer Internship: University of Iowa Health Care

By: Mary Kate Titus (MHA ‘20)

This week I am passing the halfway mark for my Administrative Internship at University of Iowa Health Care. UI Health Care includes The University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics (UIHC), Stead Family Children’s Hospital, The Carver College of Medicine, and University of Iowa Physicians (UIP). University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics is the only comprehensive academic medical center in Iowa, and it grants access to patients from all 99 counties. My summer location is primary at UI Health Care’s Support Services Building, as I collaborate with individuals in the Finance division.

I am fortunate to work under the guidance of Ann Showers, the Director of Revenue and Reimbursement at UI Health Care. Her team focuses on service rate-setting, chargemaster management, and package price creation for all UIHC departments. She allows me to shadow discussions regarding each area, while also having me research and prepare package prices for a new surgical service line at UIHC. I am actively collecting data on surgical procedures currently offered, procedures UIHC hopes to provide in the future, and any additional training or resources needed to expand transgender surgical care. It is exciting to be involved in a project that promotes price transparency and healthcare access for Iowa’s LGBTQ community.

Additionally, throughout the week I join my co-interns at UIHC and UIP for hospital rounds. They are a great opportunity to see departments from a “behind-the-scenes” view. This past week we attended an introduction and tour of Food and Nutrition Services for UIHC and Stead Family Children’s Hospital. I am looking forward to both the Office of Patient Experience and Nursing rounds scheduled for mid-July.

Outside of work, I spend a large portion of my free time with my classmates and friends. Four of my classmates and I placed 5th place (out of 18) at a “The Office” trivia night. I’ve already supplied review materials to them in hopes that we take 1st place next time. I’m excited to attend the Iowa City Block Party in a few weeks, as well as enjoy a few mini-vacations that I have planned in early August.

I look forward to starting a second year with the University of Iowa MHA program in a few short months, as well as meeting the incoming cohort! GO HAWKS!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group