Summer Internship: The University of Iowa Physicians


By: Coleman Heaney (MHA ‘20)

Hello Everyone! This summer I am the graduate administrative intern at the University of Iowa Physicians (UIP).  In the first month of my internship, I have already been exposed to a variety of opportunities and experiences.  In the first few weeks, I was able to visit and observe many of the clinics that fall under the UIP umbrella.  Here, I got to see how the frontline staff operates, which is very important for one of my biggest projects.  Beyond observation, I also took multiple classes on Epic, a platform that I had no experience with previously.

Over the course of the internship, I will have numerous projects in varying subjects.  As I alluded to earlier, one of my major tasks focuses on the welcome and check-in process, specifically looking at increasing technology utilization.  Currently, I am working on integrating fee schedules, which has proven to be quite the task indeed.  In the coming months, my projects will include decommissioning a facility, handling two go-lives, and managing financial reports.

The coursework from my first year in the MHA program has already proven beneficial.  I use the tools learned in our analytics and finance course on a frequent basis.  Excel skills have proven to be particularly useful, and I look forward to continuing to use what I have learned in the classroom throughout my internship.

Beyond the great experience and the wonderful people I work with every day, I also have the privilege of working in an amazing facility.  There are so many activities available during a lunch or break time.  Whether you prefer basketball, ping pong, or a walk around the pond, there is no excuse not to stay active and healthy at work.

As the summer progresses, I look forward to seeing how my projects develop and the many things I will learn!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group