Summer Internship: Stead Family Children's Hospital

By: Lauren Bline (MHA ‘20)

This week, I am beginning the fifth week of my administrative internship at University of Iowa Stead Family Children’s Hospital. Home to the nationally recognized and loved “Wave”, UI Stead Family Children’s Hospital maintains 190 beds and serves over 77,000 patients annually from all 99 counties and almost every state. The care team is incredibly robust as well, with more than 170 physicians and more than 700 nurses. I work under the direction of Amy O’Deen (MA ’83), Interim Executive Director of Children’s, an incredible mentor and resource as I expand my healthcare and management knowledge. Amy also serves as Senior Assistant Director over nine adult departments, which offers an increased breadth of exposure.

Related imageThroughout the summer, my projects have varied greatly in size and scope. Currently, I am analyzing psychiatric counseling space utilization, completing and documenting various surveys and accreditation initiatives, streamlining scheduling workflows in the neurology department, and comparing processes and patient flow in the orthopedic realm at both University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics and at Iowa River Landing to increase efficiencies. All of these projects are incredibly interesting, and I am excited to apply knowledge I gained throughout my first year of graduate school.

I’ve also been fortunate to attend numerous meetings, which offer great insight into strategy and operations discussions. Further, along with my University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics and University of Iowa Physicians colleagues, I have gotten the opportunity to shadow and round with various departments across the institution. It is incredibly beneficial to see how different facets of the organization work together to achieve the main goal of delivering world-class patient care.

Outside of work, I’ve thoroughly enjoyed staying busy this summer. From early morning workouts to dinners and trivia with classmates who are still in the area, my weeks are full! I am also excited to be able to travel; Ecuador, New York City, Chicago, and a couple Midwest weddings are on my list this summer!

So far, my internship experience has been incredible and I am enjoying my summer tremendously, but I am so looking forward to reconnecting with all my classmates in the fall as well as meeting the first-years!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group