Maddie Huinker (MHA '23): Mayo Clinic Health System - Eau Claire

Hello from Eau Claire, Wisconsin! This summer I have the privilege of being in the Mayo Clinic Administrative Internship Program and am based out of the Mayo Clinic Health System (MCHS) in Eau Claire, WI. This site is a 300-bed hospital located in Northwest Wisconsin (NWWI) that oversees four critical access hospitals in surrounding towns, has strategic priorities that align with the enterprise’s Bold. Forward. Initiative, and oversees numerous primary care and clinic spaces throughout NWWI. I am entering my final week of the internship and could not have asked for a better or more enriching experience. 

The Mayo Clinic Administrative Internship Program is a cohort-based model that allows interns across all sites to engage in virtual site visits of all Mayo Clinic locations, Meet & Greets with local and national Mayo Clinic leaders, Lunch & Learns with executive officers, and the program also pairs interns with mentors across the nation. Interns who are in the Midwest also got to spend a day in Rochester touring the Mayo and Gonda clinic buildings, the historic Plummer building, and St. Mary’s hospital to learn and see the rich history and culture that still exists today. I was physically located right next to my co-intern, two undergraduate interns, and two fellows. Together we got to tour the OR, medical transport bays, inpatient pharmacy, lab, inpatient psych unit, and participate in a tracer activity to prepare for the joint commission. 

My assigned preceptor is Michele Eberle, Vice Chair of Administration, who chairs primary care and medicine. Michele oversaw my two largest projects which involved developing the business case for adding a new service line and creating a malleable staffing model that utilizes panel sizes, FTE allocation, and predictive growth to staff a sustainable workforce. I was able to lead and contribute to five other projects throughout the summer with physicians and administrative leaders throughout the organization. Some of my favorites were optimizing specialty and primary care visits, analyzing internal and external data contributing to surgical volumes, and standardizing communications and supply chain pathways to support education initiatives in emergency medicine. 

I have absolutely loved my time in Eau Claire and am fortunate that my apartment overlooks the beautiful Chippewa river and is just a 15-minute walk to work. Eau Claire has so many weekly concerts and markets, cute local stores, and is only an hour away from Minneapolis. I enjoyed exploring all the fun events and places Eau Claire has to offer with my co-interns and the Eau Claire fellows. While I am sad my 12 weeks at MCHS is ending, I am excited to return to Iowa City and see my classmates and to discover what the future holds!

A Note From The Editor*

If you would like to keep up with Maddie, you can find her here on LinkedIn!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group