Olivia Wilson (MHA '23): Overland Park Regional Medical Center

Hi from Kansas City! I’ve been lucky enough to intern at Overland Park Regional Medical Center, an HCA Midwest hospital about 30 minutes west of downtown KC. Overland Park Regional is licensed for 351 beds and is the only Level I Trauma Center in Jackson County. We are known for exceptional cardiovascular care and women’s & children’s services. From my first day on the job, I have been greeted with open-armed individuals eager to get to know me, teach me, and welcome me into their community.

During my internship, I’ve learned something new (or 10) every single day. My preceptors, Nisha Mills, the VP of Operations and Cory Mead, the COO, have done the most amazing job of throwing me in the fire and trusting me to take on projects. I have had the opportunity to serve on numerous committees that reach all corners of the hospital, put on a hospital-wide educational event, be a part of $30 million dollars’ worth of construction meetings, buy a new security car, put on a leadership event, round daily on patients, participate in retention efforts, and meet such incredible division-wide colleagues and providers. My favorite thing I’ve done this summer is watch an open-heart surgery, something I never dreamed of seeing in real life. And to keep it real, I cried! There is some-thing so amazing about being in the room where life-saving measures are being taken.

My time at OPR has taught me the cruciality of being present, kind, and empathetic as a leader, a few of the things I watch leadership do every day for staff. I really do love it here.         

I’m a Kansas City native, and love being so close to home. Outside of working, I’ve spent lots of time with my family and friends. I’m so blessed to have such an amazing community here and in Iowa City. I’m already sad about my time here ending, but so excited to be back at school with everyone for our second year!



*A Note From The Editor*

If you would like to keep up with Olivia, you can find her here on LinkedIn

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group