Mitchel McHugh (MHA '23): UI Health Care - Financial & Accounting Services

Hello from Iowa City!

This summer I have had the great pleasure to work as the administrative intern for UI Healthcare with the Financial & Accounting Services. Beth Jaggers who is the Senior Director of Decision Support and Population, has been an amazing preceptor and mentor. During this time, I have also had the amazing opportunity to learn from 5 other senior directors who I also report to. This internship has given me lots of experience in decision support, budgeting, revenue integrity, accounting, and population health.

Beth created a list of projects to allow my classmate Eric and myself to hit the ground running day one by giving us the autonomy to select projects that best fit our interests. I have had the privilege of working on many projects throughout the summer which some will continue through the school year. A few of those projects have been to research best practices and help implement HCC coding, understand and implement a more efficient procurement process for UI Health Ventures with Eric, creating and leading an engagement committee to help increase department morale and engagement. Other projects included creating finance KPI dashboards for department newsletter and creating meaningful analyses for WRVU and hospital wide Budgets. 
I also have been given the opportunity to join many meetings to gain a better understanding of how the healthcare systems operates from a financial aspect. These meetings have been with leaders from all over the organization spreading my field network to mentors later down the road. I have also had the privilege to attend director lunches with Beth and the other five senior directors where I have been able to get to know them all personally and discuss project updates to get advice on things I could work on or keep doing.

On my free time outside of the internship, I spend my time with my wife (Kaitlin) and my dog (Buttercup). We have been exploring Iowa City, by going on lots of walks, hikes and going to the dog park. My wife and I have been trying lots of new restaurants and ice cream places. We have been able to show our families around town in several different occasions. During July we got to go to Colorado for a family reunion which was nice to get away for a couple days. This summer has been amazing learning and having fun.



*A Note From The Editor*

If you would like to keep up with Mitchel, you can find him here on LinkedIn

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Rasika Mukkamala (MHA '24): UCHealth Highlands Ranch Hospital