Summer Internship: Mayo Clinic Health System

By: Ryan Syverson

Greetings to all my avid HMP blog readers out there!  I hope this post finds you well.  I am in my 7th week of my 12-week-long internship at the Mayo Clinic Health System in Owatonna, Minnesota.  For those of you who do not have a clue where that is, the building is situated right off I-35 about an hour south of the Twin Cities.  I have been fortunate enough to do some traveling throughout the system.  Some of these experiences include attending regional meetings at “Mother Mayo” in Rochester and having intimate conversations with a small town mayor about the organization's commitment to keeping afloat a one-provider practice to address the health needs of the community of less than 2,000. 

The administrative staff has been incredibly welcoming as they continually attempt to further my experience by involving me in the community.  Participation in events such as Have a Safe Summer, Relay for Life, and the upcoming Steele County fair have shown me the importance of connecting with the community we serve. 

I have been able to get involved and take the lead on a variety of projects this summer.  Some of these include:  Space allocation decisions, creating personnel directories, ophthalmology department process improvement initiatives, marketing a plastic surgeon, accrediting the sleep medicine department, and writing the operations manual for a new EEG service line.  My preceptor, Mark Brown, has encouraged me to find my own projects when they present themselves and has allowed me the freedom to take on project management roles when appropriate. 

Minnesota summers are something to behold.  I am living with my grandparents in Mankato and do have to make a 50-mile commute to work every day.  However, the home cooked meals, cheap rent, and company are well worth it.  Living here means I get to escape to the lake more often than normal and get to see extended family on a regular basis. 

I have included a stunning picture of my cubicle and the obligatory photo of the clinic, which houses around 70 physicians and 20 specialty services.           

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group