Summer Internship: UnityPoint Health - Des Moines

By: Swati Panchal

If I had to describe my feelings on the first day of my internship, I would say I was nervous, yet undeniably excited. Now, as I approach my 6th week, I would say I am still excited and only nervous about how fast the time is going!

In the first few days, I quickly learned that meetings would be the core of my days. From senior leadership meetings to wellness committee meetings, I learned about the many roles and functions within a hospital. As I worked towards familiarizing myself with the four hospitals in our region—Iowa Methodist, Methodist West, Iowa Lutheran, and Blank Children’s—I had the opportunity to be part of some exciting events.

On June 8th, Iowa Methodist opened their brand new Emergency Department. Upon my first visit, I thought, “Wow. This looks more like a hotel than an ED. This is even nicer than Grey’s Anatomy’s!” Actually, everything I have gotten to be a part of, from patient rounds to board meetings, has shown that UnityPoint Health-Des Moines is much less dramatic than Seattle Grace. Phew. Honestly, the most dramatic moment has been the time I could not find my way to the parking lot.

In the past few weeks, I have gotten the opportunity to contribute to an array of projects, some of which include: refining our current professional appearance policy, creating time studies to evaluate the impact of FLSA changes, and analyzing data in regards to no-shows. In between project work, I have been able to gain an abundance of hospital exposure by observing an autopsy, a biopsy, and two DNV accreditation visits.

One of the reasons I was so attracted to UnityPoint Health-Des Moines was its strong culture. It has been incredible to see every member work towards incorporating our values into each decision and action. These values have also been distinct in every interaction I have had. Every member has been welcoming and appreciative of my presence. From executives to physicians, everyone has helped make this internship the best experience possible. It also helps that I have found the BEST breakfast sandwich ever in our cafeterias.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group