Summer Internship: New Ulm Medical Center

By: Carly Correll

Hello from New Ulm, Minnesota! I am spending the summer at New Ulm Medical Center (NUMC), a part of the Allina Health system. Allina owns 12 hospitals and 61 clinics across the state of Minnesota, and offers a truly integrated healthcare model. NUMC is one of the more unique facilities as it boasts a hospital, clinic, pharmacy, cancer center, and rehabilitation institute all under one roof. For New Ulm residents and many others who live in even smaller communities, it’s a primary source of care. NUMC is more than just a hospital—it’s an integral part of the community. Everyone here is truly dedicated to keeping the community healthy and to providing the best care, education, and preventative resources.

I jumped right in to several projects on my first day, and have been lucky enough to participate in projects tailored to my unique interests.  One of my big projects has been developing the framework for a Women’s Health Center. I presented my project to the Board of Directors last week and received approval to move on to the next step. By packaging services and developing a cohesive brand strategy, the goal of the project is to become a one-stop shop for women’s healthcare needs throughout life’s stages.  

I’ve also been working a ton on Excel, and have learned so much more than I ever imagined. One benefit of being in a rural setting is that it’s not an uncommon thing to have the President, Director of Finance, and/or Senior Data Analyst sitting in your office with you providing invaluable knowledge. I’ve been analyzing tons of data and sent detailed reports to directors to help reduce departmental overtime expenses. My co-intern, Ben, and I have been developing a scorecard that is being used to help reduce costs for the rest of the fiscal year. Some measures included are expenses associated with temporary staff, overtime hours, and locum providers. It’s really cool to be developing something that’s going to be used even after we depart in August. 

I could go on and on because this experience has been truly incredible. Everyone I’ve been working with has made an impact on me, and I will be forever grateful for the willingness they have shown to share their knowledge with me. For now, I’m going to leave you with my tiny desktop bags for two reasons: 1) It is super cute, and 2) it provides a lot of administrative bonding time.
To all my MHA classmates: I’m looking forward to beating you all at bags this football season!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group