Summer Internship: University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics

By: Kaitlyn Hunsberger


Hi, everyone! I am very excited to be spending my summer at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics (UIHC) as an intern working with Dr. Theresa Brennan, the Chief Medical Officer for the organization. The University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics is a 732-bed organization and Iowa's only comprehensive academic medical center. I have been very fortunate to have already spent most of my experiences in healthcare with UIHC, so my internship with administration is truly rounding out my knowledge and experiences with the organization.
My main project for the summer is assisting with the planning of a new observation unit, opening at the beginning of September. Construction is currently in process to transition rooms from the Helen K. Rossi Volunteer Guest House to patient rooms. I have included a couple of pictures showing the progress of the construction on the new unit. My involvement in the project so far has primarily been in the planning and coordination of a Medical Observation Summit. This summit is being planned to engage and inform stakeholders on the importance and impact of observation care on patients and the organization, as well as on the details of the new unit. This project allows for me to work with several individuals from different disciplines. In addition to the observation unit project, I am working with the Office of the Patient Experience on the re-implementation of a Press Ganey survey. I also have the opportunity to work with the other administrative interns at UI Healthcare on surveying the space of the hospital.

If you have never spent a summer in Iowa City, you are most definitely missing out! An Iowa City summer offers a less congested downtown in addition to some wonderful summer activities on the Ped Mall. I am spending the majority of my time outside of work with family and friends enjoying the humid Iowa weather. I cannot believe that I am already almost halfway through my internship at UIHC, but I am looking forward to continuing to be a sponge for the rest of the summer and learning as much as I can!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group