Alejandro Patino (MHA '22): University of Iowa Physicians Group (UIP)

Hello from Iowa City! I am doing my summer internship with the University of Iowa Physicians Group (UIP). UIP has exposed me to a variety of challenging experiences so far. My preceptor is Elizabeth Jaggers, the Director of Clinical Services at UI Health Care. I have not only been able to receive Beth’s mentorship, but I have also had the opportunity to work with other key leaders in the organization, such as directors, mid-level managers, and physicians. In addition, the two UIP Administrative Fellows, Nicole Graf and Zoe Horak have been incredibly helpful in orientation and mentorship throughout my experience.

My internship has had me traveling all over the Iowa City/Coralville/North Liberty area! I have really enjoyed my experience working at the UIHC Main Hospital, the Health Services Support Building, and the Patient Access Center. Additionally, I have traveled to outpatient locations such as River Crossing to deliver medical devices! My co-intern Laura Olds and I have had a fun time traveling to all the different UIHC locations this summer. I have also attended various seminars and rounding sessions with the UIHC interns, who have provided insight into how UIHC operates at all levels. My favorite rounding session has been the Pharmacy session where Michael Brownlee, CPO, provided behind-the-scenes insight on how pharmacy impacts UIHC.

I came into my internship at UIP with a focus on DEI, Analytics, and Provider Relations. UIP has adjusted my involvement to work with my interests! This summer, I have been involved in a litany of projects. My primary project has been in a project management role for the Enterprise Scheduling Initiative. It has been a super tough learning experience, but I wouldn’t have it any other way. I’ve had to manage managers, proactively prepare documents, and schedule a significant number of meetings, among other tasks. UIP is a very fast-paced environment, and I have had to learn as I go. I can safely say I have been catapulted out of my comfort zone.

Another project that I have worked on is the Patient Access Center monthly financials, which have allowed me to gain a greater understanding of what high-level financial reporting looks like in a department. Additionally, I am facilitating the entire process for the Admission Transfer Center in surveying referring providers on their experience in transferring patients to UIHC. From another provider relations perspective, I am conducting analysis and presenting APP productivity benchmarks to Clinical Department Administrators in each department!

On the weekends, I have been out of Iowa City. Some of the cities I’ve been to this summer include Sioux Falls, Omaha, Denver, and Winter Park. I also managed to take some delayed graduation photos from my undergrad! UIP was flexible with my schedule during my internship, which allowed me to visit Winter Park, Colorado, for a week with my girlfriend. We did some off-roading, hiking, and fishing in the Rockies! Did I mention we also did plenty of eating?


*A Note From The Editor*

If you would like to keep up with Alejandro, you can find him here on LinkedIn!











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group