Laura Olds (MHA '22): University of Iowa Physicians Group (UIP)

Greetings from UIP!!

This summer, I have kept busy interning with the University of Iowa Physicians (UIP), and I have been enjoying every second of it! The UIP internship has a duration of 10 weeks, but I am lucky enough to be able to stay on as a Graduate Assistant this upcoming school year. As far as location, I have a lot of autonomy in where I'd like to work that day - whether it's at the main campus, an outreach clinic, or my personal preference, the Healthcare Support Services Building (HSSB), which is just a quick 3-minute drive from my apartment! Between rounding at UIHC, project meetings, outreach clinic initiatives, and cleaning up my email, I am regularly moving around from space to space - which I have thoroughly enjoyed! One of the best parts about working at the HSSB location is the working environment. The building is designed for you to move around and be active throughout your workday. Personally, I try to make use of the outside space whenever I can and take walks around the pond on my lunch breaks. 

Much of my time with UIP is spent working on initiatives for the University of Iowa Community Clinics (UICC). One of the most fulfilling parts of my internship is that my projects cover a vast range of objectives, and I am able to see the role of an administrator from a very wide lens. One day I could be picking a linen vendor for an outreach clinic, and others, I am working directly with physicians to optimize their patient care routines. My larger tasks have me in high-level roles for some really innovative growth opportunities. These projects consist of switching providers to a team-based care model, expanding hours in some of our off-site clinics, aiding in the development of new clinics and service lines, and creating a more efficient lab scheduling process in Epic, which is institution-wide! On a light day, I will spend my time preparing for meetings, sending and answering emails, and pulling a lot of data (extra emphasis on 'a lot'!). Overall, my projects have sparked interests in areas of healthcare that I did not expect to enjoy coming into this internship!

Outside of work, I have spent much of my free time spending time with friends and in the sun kayaking, hiking, or at the pool!  I am very excited to see where the rest of my time at UIP takes me, and I feel very fortunate to have been chosen for this internship. I have gained so much valuable experience working for a Physician Group and encourage others to seek a similar experience! 

*A Note From The Editor*

If you would like to keep up with Laura, you can find her here on LinkedIn!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group