Hannah Patrick (JD/MHA '22): University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics - Compliance

Hello from the University of Iowa!

I stayed in Iowa City this summer to work with the Joint Office for Compliance (JOC) at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics (UIHC). This summer, the JOC is working on drafting policies for their Hybrid Entities, and I have had the opportunity to take part in this process.

I was required to do a lot of research when the internship first began so that I understood the importance of a Compliance department itself, as well as the particular regulations that needed to be complied with when creating the policies. Shortly after this, I drafted my first policy and sent it off to the review process.

Other tasks during the course of the internship focused on some of the auditing requirements and determining policies that needed to be updated. I also collected information for Conflicts of Interest auditing and created pivot tables for data collected from EPIC for a compliance review.

In addition to reviewing various hospital policies, including hospital policies currently still in review, there is also a new website being built for the JOC. I was given the task of creating the website based on the vision one of my supervisors had. Once this was completed, I began drafting descriptions of each element of the website so that the policies would then be able to be added to the website. I will soon lead a training meeting on how to add information and edit information on the website.

The JOC has put a lot of effort into ensuring that I would be able to learn as much as I could during the summer. Therefore, I observe and contribute to weekly Hybrid Policy meetings and team meetings. I have also observed a meeting focusing on the different hospital policies currently in review. Other meetings have focused on software development, risk audits, joint HIPAA privacy and security reviews, and Business Associate Agreement (BAA) meetings (collaborating with an attorney from legal).

Recently, I was informed that I could stay on as a student employee next year. Therefore, after I complete my current projects, I anticipate working with one coworker on things including redlining BAAs, conflicts of interest projects, and others. This same coworker has also been meeting with me the past few weeks for thirty minutes each Friday for in-depth discussions on what her different responsibilities are. I am in my seventh week of the internship, so I still have a bit of time left. I look forward to what is to come. Because I am the department's first intern, this has been a learning experience for everyone, but an experience that has made me realize my interests.

Because I have been working both in-person and remote, enjoy some dog pictures with my very playful coworkers that have enjoyed working with me over the summer!

*A Note From The Editor*

If you would like to keep up with Hannah, you can find her here on LinkedIn!











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group