Alex Morrell (MHA '22): University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics - Strategy and Business Development

Hello from Iowa City!

I hope that everyone has enjoyed their summer internships so far! This summer, I have had the great opportunity to work under Tim Kan, Chief Growth Officer at The University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics (UIHC). With over 20 years of healthcare consulting experience, Tim brings a diverse and in-depth knowledge of the healthcare industry. Tim has been a great resource and mentor. He continues to push me every day to think deeper and continuing to develop and improve my analytic skills.

From Day 1, the growth team at UIHC has welcomed me with open arms and has been a wonderful resource throughout the summer. As an integrated member of the growth team, I have had the opportunity to be a part of many projects. These projects have consisted of market research, space utilization, and implementation of strategies. However, my main project has revolved around an external referral analysis. My responsibility in this project was to do an in-depth analysis of UIHC's current referral stream. This project included working with the University of Iowa Patient Access Center (UIPAC), Business Intelligence (BI), and physician liaisons to understand the current process for external referrals, where the data is reported, and how to best analyze and utilize the data. The external referral analysis has put my analytical skills to the test and has expanded my skills tremendously. (Thank you, Dr. Dan Shane, for giving me a baseline of analytic skills to use as a springboard). Through this project work, I have been able to turn data into information. Furthermore, I have been able to discover areas for improvement and overall recommendations that I will be able to present to senior leadership.

Through the UIHC internship, I have had the opportunity to round with many department leaders, including in areas such as Food & Nutrition, Environmental Services, Volunteer Services, Engineering Services, Emergency department, Safety, and Security, etc... Through these opportunities, I have been able to develop a greater understanding of how a large Academic Medical Center (AMC) runs and operates on a daily basis. I have also had the opportunity to meet with many UIHC senior leaders through Noon Seminars. These seminars have given me a unique opportunity to sit down with a senior leader to learn and ask questions. It has been a tremendous learning experience and has given me great respect for many of the leaders at UIHC.

Away from the internship, I have spent my time exploring Iowa with my wife and dog Duke. We have enjoyed all of the different festivals and weekend block parties. We also made it out to the Maquoketa Caves State Park. We enjoyed our time exploring the caves and hiking. I am grateful for the many opportunities I have had this summer to learn and grow. I look forward to seeing you all again this Fall! Go Hawks!

*A Note From The Editor*

If you would like to keep up with Alex, you can find him here on LinkedIn!







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group