Summer Internship: Alabama Medicaid Agency

By: Megan Mitchell


Hello, everyone!

 

This summer I came back to my southern roots to intern at the Alabama Medicaid Agency located in Montgomery, Alabama. I had the opportunity to intern at the Agency last summer when I attended Auburn University and loved it so much that I’m back again.

 

Last summer, I assisted with the readiness assessment and implementation process of Alabama Coordinated Health Networks (ACHN). ACHN was designed to create a single care coordination delivery system that will be cost-efficient for the State and improve health outcomes for Alabamians. This summer, I am working on contract amendments for the ACHN program including telephonic care coordination. My unique experience has allowed me to see what it’s like to implement a new program and how to manage a program after implementation. My preceptor for both of my internships at the Agency has been Drew Nelson, MPH, Epidemiologist, and Director of Networks and Quality Assurance Division. I have also had the privilege to work with many other directors, nurses, and managers at the Agency who have been very helpful in making my experience here one that I will never forget.


On weekends, I love to spend time with friends and family in my hometown of Rainsville, Alabama. My family welcomed a baby girl in June, named Charlsie Quinn, who’s made me an aunt for the third time! I have also been able to rekindle my love for musical theatre and participated in a virtual choir produced by a local community theatre. When I’m not attending my little sister’s softball tournaments, I am usually laying by the pool enjoying a margarita. I have also made several trips to Panama City Beach in Florida to relax in the sand and, of course, enjoy a margarita on the beach. I have had a wonderful summer in Alabama, despite the humidity, and can’t wait to be back in Iowa to meet the old and new MHA-ers. I am a little sad this is my last year in the MHA program, but I can’t wait to see what opportunities lie ahead.

 

Go Hawks!

 

Megan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group