Summer Internship: NewAldaya Lifescapes Retirement and Senior Community

By: Ellie Girkin


Hello from Cedar Falls, Iowa! This summer, I have had the wonderful opportunity to work as the Administrative Intern with NewAldaya Lifescapes Retirement and Senior Community. NewAldaya is a five-star, stand-alone Continuing Care Retirement Community (CCRC) with 135 certified beds and home to over 300 residents. I have had the pleasure of working closely with the Administrator, Crystal Jasper, as well as several department directors as I rotate through different areas of the community.

 

My main project throughout the summer has been creating a reference binder for all of the state and federal regulations related to long-term care. This has been a great opportunity for me to learn the regulations as well as provide the administrative team with an easy and convenient way to ensure safe and quality care. I have also completed several other projects including restructuring the Environmental Services department and responsibilities to improve efficiencies, transferring the annual staff safety fair online due to COVID-19 restrictions, and creating the outdoor “chatter box” that allows residents to interact with visitors in a safe and healthy manner.

 

Outside of work, I have spent a lot of time on home improvement projects, working on my golf game, and relaxing at the lake!

 

COVID-19 has presented many challenges for long-term care communities, but I have been greatly impressed with the resident’s ability to stay positive, and the commitment of staff to come together to care for the most vulnerable. I can’t wait to see what the rest of the summer brings!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group