Summer Internship: University of Iowa Physicians Group (UIP)

By: Alex Rasmussen

I have had the pleasure of interning this summer with the University of Iowa Physicians. My preceptor, Beth Jaggers, has given me challenging and rewarding projects that have gained me a significant amount of exposure to the healthcare field. I have been closely working with the ILI clinic (Influenza-Like-Illnesses) at University of Iowa Hospital and Clinics which manages all the testing and telemedicine visits for COVID-19, as well as working with UI Community Clinics which encompasses all the clinics, UI QuickCares, UI Urgent Cares outside of the main hospital campus.

I have been a part of a variety of projects throughout the summer, specifically related to keeping up with the rapidly changing COVID-19 pandemic. I have aided in operationalizing different procedures/protocols for the clinic as well as the opening of a new ILI clinic during this summer. I am also currently co-leading a project ensuring staff safety in the clinics. Other tasks that I have taken on have been data visualizations, contract reviews, financial statement analysis, creating presentations, as well as creating my own little Tableau dashboard that was very exciting to get set up. I used to have to pull numbers from Epic and make my own report, but now it is set up for Tableau to do it all on its own and sends it out automatically every morning to our leaders. I have also been enjoying the rounding opportunities with my fellow interns at UIHC to experience and hear from the different leaders of the organization.

Outside of my internship, I have been spending a lot of time outside riding my bicycling, playing disc golf (I have lost a total of 5 discs so far), and hanging out with our house doggo Nala. I have also been getting my chow on and tried some new restaurants through takeout during this pandemic and enjoying wing day Friday at HSSB.

It is great to be interning for such a wonderful part of University of Iowa Health Care. I am excited to continue learning and I am thoroughly enjoying my time here at UIP, but I am also excited to get back to class and see my wonderful classmates. Stay safe everybody, wear a mask, and wash your hands!

AJR

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group