Summer Internship: Office of Statewide Clinical Education Programs (OSCEP)


By: Gabrielle Abouassaly (MHA '21)

Hello from Iowa City!

I have now completed six weeks at the Office of Statewide Clinical Education Programs (OSCEP). OSCEP, a part of the Carver College of Medicine, serves to develop and coordinate collegiate outreach programs for medical education and community service. My internship is specifically in the Community Service Division of OSCEP.

Working under Lynette Lancial, my first-year co-intern, Alex Morrell, and I have been hard at work on the Iowa Directory of Practice Opportunities, which will be made available for physicians and advanced practice providers looking to practice in the state of Iowa. Currently, I have been spending time communicating with administrators across the state to determine current physician workforce needs. Due to COVID-19, our team has had to make adjustments to our data collection methods, which has been a fun challenge. I have also had the opportunity to learn about physician contracts, incentive programs to help recruit new physicians to rural areas, and the various aspects of physician payment.

The team at OSCEP has been great. Because we are working from home due to COVID and an upcoming office remodel, I haven’t met everyone in person yet. Even so, everyone has been welcoming and willing to help in any way I need. I have been given the opportunity to sit in on various meetings and share my work so far, which has helped to make me feel like a real part of the team. I am definitely excited to finally get in the office sometime in July.

Outside of work, this summer has not been a typical Iowa City summer. It’s been odd not spending time with friends, going out to eat, and enjoying various events like Science Thursdays. Thankfully there is plenty to do outdoors, so my family and I have been taking the opportunity to visit different state parks across Iowa. Today we are driving to Colorado to go hiking for a few days, so I am excited for a change in scenery.

Overall, I have learned a lot and these first few weeks have flown by! I am very excited to see what more I can accomplish in the rest of my internship!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group