Summer Internship: University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics (UIHC)

By: Gina Miller

Howdy from Iowa City,

This summer I was blessed with the opportunity to intern with the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in the Health Care Information Systems Department. Specifically working under Karmen Dillon and the HCIS team to work on specific projects such as Annual CPT Code Changes, 3rd Party Insurance Enrollment, and New Service Locations. I worked with various project managers to develop process maps as well as specific data analysis on these projects within my 10-week internship.

To break down my specific project work I specifically worked on the new service locations project to Create a Source of Truth list of UIHC facilities and I initially began using “Master” spreadsheet for all facility locations. For the CPT specific project, the purpose of the project was to develop process maps/ workflows to detail out the CPT changes and their process and identify recommendations or changes to improve the process. We met with specific departments to define their process of implementing CPT coding updates. Using process maps we detailed out the processes and determined each group specific process as well as their recommendations and comments on their own processes and the process. Finally, the 3rd party enrollment project I elaborated on process maps to identify the newly updated process as well as identifying potential recommendations to the process.

Overall the whole internship was quite insightful. I learned how to use Visio and had process mapping crash course. I also had a plethora of Excel data analysis experience through this internship. Learning communication skills as well as how to hold professional meeting were great skills I learned as well. My internship was a great learning experience and I would recommend it to anyone.

 -        Go Hawks!

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group