Summer Internship: University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics (UIHC)

By: Alec Ballard (MHA '21)


Hello from Iowa City, Iowa! This summer, I have had the great pleasure of interning for the University of Iowa Hospital and Clinics (UIHC). Specifically, I am serving as the Hospital Operations and Administrative Intern, under the Chief Operating Officer, Sabi Singh.

UIHC offers comprehensive and patient-focused care to everyone who walks through their doors. With over 800 inpatient beds and close to 40,000 annual admissions, Iowa’s only

academic medical center partners with University of Iowa Physicians (UIP) to not only provide patient care, but also conduct biomedical research and train the next generation of healthcare professionals. Each day I get to see the great efforts UIHC does to invest in the health care of Iowans through, “Changing Medicine and Changing Lives.” Even with the unforgiving challenges COVID-19 has brought with it, UIHC continues to offer the same, unprecedented care it has always achieved to do.  

My primary project this summer has been working on improving and streamlining the workflow for UIHC’s central sterilization site (CSS). For those of you who do not know what that is like I did not at first, CSS is responsible for ensuring surgical instruments are sterilized after surgeries and made ready for future cases. Earlier this year, UIHC moved CSS offsite to their Oakdale campus, initiating the need for collaboration between OR staff, supply chain management, and CSS. Together, we have been working to test and create a standardized process, ensuring a smooth process from when tools leave the OR to when they return for the next surgery case. This project has taught me a great deal about the importance of effective leadership, communication, and quality standardization.

Other projects I have just begun to work on include looking at short-term coverage options and scope for a possible pharmacy courier service and working on UIHC’s ‘It’s Safe Here’ initiative by rounding all the outpatient clinics. More to come on these.

Aside from work, there is not much to do during a pandemic. Therefore, I have spent many weekends driving home to see family, swim in my parent’s pool, and play with our new puppy, Ivy. I have also begun the preparation process for fellowship applications – the path I hope to pursue after graduation.

I can’t believe I am already halfway done, but I am ecstatic to continue learning this summer from such a commendable organization like UIHC.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group