Summer Internship: Bothwell Regional Health Center

By: Amra Dolic

Hello from Sedalia, Missouri!

This summer I have had the honor of interning at Bothwell Regional Health Center with CEO, Lori Wightman. Bothwell is a 145-bed rural hospital and service line of specialty clinics. I am currently on week 8 of 12 and it feels like I just had orientation yesterday (what unusual times we are experiencing in the healthcare world).

During my time in Sedalia as Bothwell’s administrative intern, I have been working on the five following projects:

-        I have completed an evaluation of three virtual visit platforms by using physicians’ input, coordinating demos, developing comparisons of visit levels, and then providing my recommendations using an SBAR format.

-        I have developed a proforma for the rural track family residency program that Bothwell is planning to start in 2021.

-        I am currently developing another proforma for an Endobronchial Ultrasound (EBUS) to be purchased for our new pulmonologist.

-        I am evaluating the organization’s contract with Wellness Works (consultation and management firm).

-        Lastly, I am also helping with Bothwell’s website redesign.

Outside of project work, there has not been a shortage of meetings to attend or new things to learn! I attend daily administrative and executive huddles (some of which I have had the privilege of leading myself). I attend weekly meetings with the senior leadership team, weekly web conferences with the Pettis County COVID-19 Taskforce, and weekly debriefs with the Command Center. I also sit in on monthly board meetings with Bothwell’s Board of Trustees. In addition, I have learned a great deal by spending a few of my mornings working in different departments (environmental services, dietary, etc.) and analyzing their process flow.

I moved down to Missouri the week of finals at Iowa, so I have not had much of a break this summer. My weekends are spent relaxing by the poolside, exploring neighboring cities with my boyfriend when he comes to visit, or reading a book. August 7th marks the end of week 12 and the beginning of two weeks off before classes start up. SO LOOKING FORWARD TO THAT!

 

-        Amra Dolic, MHA Student ’21 | University of Iowa

Administrative Intern | Bothwell Regional Health Center

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group